Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving in France


Last Thursday was Thanksgiving, and although it is not celebrated in France, my fellow students from the United States organized a Thanksgiving at my residence, Le Rabot, with the resources we had. We don’t have ovens in our kitchens, only stovetops, so there was no turkey. But pretty much everything else was present, including many different types of desserts. Le Rabot is very culturally diverse, and everyone was invited, so there were some not-so-traditional dishes, too. All in all, I think it was very successful. I’m sure non-U.S. students were a little confused as to what we were actually celebrating, but we did our best to explain Thanksgiving to them.

As the semester comes closer to the end, you can be sure that final exams and projects are on everyone’s mind. I had my final exam today in Telecommunications. My Software Engineering, Operating Systems , and French exams will all be on 15 December. Just two more weeks, really! As I expected, the semester flew by much too quickly. I wish I had done more traveling throughout Europe, as the opportunity to do so will be much more difficult and expensive once I’m back home. I'm going to Berlin for a couple of days though right after my finals.

In the meantime, Grenoble has entered into the Christmas season. The weather is much colder now than in September, its usually around 50°F in the daytime and 20s-30s at night. It hasn’t snowed yet, and it’s actually been fairly dry, but I’m sure it will come in December. For the past week, stalls have been set up in the Victor Hugo Square for the Christmas markets. They are now open, and very popular on the weekends. They have many things for sale, including Christmas/holiday items, but also food, sweets, and Vin Chaud, which is wine served hot. It has spices, citrus, and sugar in it as well, and it is very popular here and throughout Europe this time of year. 





No comments:

Post a Comment