Sunday, September 4, 2011

I Have Arrived

I am here now in Grenoble, France. I arrived yesterday around 1 or 2pm, local time here. I took a train from Lyon, France to Grenoble, which took about an hour, and cost 25 €. Then, I learned that the bus I need to get to my housing does not run on Saturdays. So I took a taxi up there for 12 € (might have been ripped off a bit).

My room is small, but so far, I like it. The students staying here are very diverse, although most have a better grasp on French than I do (hopefully that will change soon). Tomorrow I will meet at the Université Joseph Fourier for orientation, and to meet with Dr Thiriet. Here are some pictures of the housing: Le Rabot








I have already experienced great food, and a bit of the French/European culture. So far, it has been very positive. Everyone greets each other and is polite. If you try to speak French, they will usually try to help. Of course, switching to English is possible for most, but it is discouraged to start speaking English with a local. This is my experience, anyway. The streetlights are much smaller, and easy to miss. I am glad I won't be doing much driving. I will post pictures of the city/university later.


No comments:

Post a Comment