Monday, September 26, 2011

Classes and Traveling

With my classes now in full swing, I thought it might be a good time for another post. So much has happened my first 3 weeks here, its hard to think back and remember everything. I'm sure I won't be able to think of everything.

The courses are going well. Since my first post, I have had a slight change in schedule, due to some issues with the course that was offered as Real-Time Systems. I have switched to a Software Engineering course, and I think the change has made things much better, especially for future semesters back home at Embry-Riddle. The grades here are on a scale from 0 - 20, 20 being the best (although from what I hear, its nearly impossible to get a 20). I haven't received an actual grade on homework or labs yet, so I can't say how the grading scale compares.

The cafeterias on campus are really interesting. When you have a prepaid meal card, you get a large lunch for 3 €! Here's an example of a meal from the cafeteria:


Unfortunately, every student on campus eats at the exact same time, so the lines are really long. But the prices and quality of food are both very good.

This weekend, some friends and I went to Mont Blanc, which is the tallest mountain in the Alps and in Europe. We rented a car and drove to the closest town, Chamonix, and stayed at a bed and breakfast. We  were able to ride a cable car up a mountain called Aiguille du Midi, which has an altitude of 3842 m (12,602 feet), 900 meters shorter than Mont Blanc. We were able to take many great photos from the top of this mountain. Here are some of the better photos of the day:

This was taken on the way to Mont Blanc, in a town called Chambéry.
Annecy, France
The bed and breakfast near Mont Blanc, in Chamonix
Mont Blanc is the tall, round mountain towards the left (shot from the top of Aiguille du Midi).
A panoramic shot of the range, from the top of Aiguille du Midi
My friends and I. From left to right: Me, Jaime, Lina, and Jean
I hope to do more traveling throughout France and other countries in Europe, if money and classwork permit.

Lastly, I wanted to say a few more differences I've noticed with the culture. Thankfully, some of these things are not personal observations, but taught to me:
- Tipping is not necessary at restaurants. You can, but it is not expected.
- It is considered rude to ask to take food home from a restaurant. Also, expect to spend a few hours for a dinner.
- Tax is included when the price is listed. Usually things are rounded to the nearest euro.
- You have to bag your own groceries at the market, and the bags are usually not given to you. You buy a large, reusable bag (or several) and bring it with you each time you shop.
- The first floor is not the Floor #1, but rather the ground floor. So the floor above that is the first, then second, etc. Think of it as counting from zero.

I'm sure there are others, but I will post more later. My French language courses will start next week, but I have learned some French in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment