Thursday, September 8, 2011

Registration and Classes

I have finally registered at UJF! The process was long, but now that I have my student ID card, I have access to a lot, including internet on campus, buying a meal card, going to the library, etc. We have not really started classes, except for a Labview class I had yesterday, and a Real-time modeling class I should've attended today, scheduled for the same time as orientation.

Some interesting observations:
- They do not teach with textbooks. The concept of a textbook was lost on a few professors, actually. They simply teach the lectures and assign homework/exams. At least I don't have to buy books!
- Each department of the university maintains their schedule for their courses, which may change from week-to-week. Unfortunately, each of my classes is in a different department, which means attending several different orientations and managing several different schedules, making sure no classes overlap.
- They use Azerty keyboards in France. (Here's a link to what those look like: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/KB_France.svg). It is very difficult to type. I think I will be using my laptop on campus frequently.

Yesterday, I tried to put my ATM card into an ATM here that has an agreement with my bank in America. It ate the card. It took it, did not respond, and didn't give it back. I went inside to ask them to help, and the lady said to wait until Friday. I can't believe they can't retrieve the card before then! Right now, I have no way of getting money. It was my first truly negative experience here. I was not happy.

I will post after some more of my classes have started. I hope to start posting in French as well soon. I am learning it slowly. The formal French classes don't start for another month I believe

No comments:

Post a Comment